AEHA: The User Alliance for the Preservation of Homeopathic Medicinal Products
Homeopathy – gentle, safe, effective
Homeopathy is a 200 year old therapy which involves the individualised prescription of homeopathic medicines for each patient. Homeopathy is effective in treating patients of all ages suffering from a wide range of acute and chronic complaints. Homeopathic medicines are safe to use and free from the risk of the side-effects associated with conventional pharmaceuticals.
Due to the individualised treatment method homeopaths and patients need access to a wide range of medicines. Otherwise treatment will not be optimally effective.
Homeopathic medicines in Europe — A call for the full availability of all homeopathic medicines in each European country for the benefit of all patients
Homeopathic medicines are produced through a process of serial dilution and succussion (referred to as potentisation) of source substances that may be of mineral, vegetable, animal or human origin.
Homeopaths use a range of low to high potencies (succussed serial dilutions), the mechanism of action of which has still not been fully explained using present scientific methods. However, despite the lack of explanation so far, clinical experience and a large number of clinical trials have clearly shown the effectiveness of homeopathic treatment.
Reduced access to necessary medicines
Each EU Member State is obliged to introduce the provisions of the EU directive into its national pharmaceutical legislation adapting any pre-existing provisions to be in line with the EU requirements. Lack of understanding of the unique nature of homeopathic medicines by some national medicines agencies has led to varying implementation of the directives.
In some countries badly revised regulations have led manufacturers to reduce the range of available homeopathic medicines by up to 90 percent.
Particularly affected are:
- rarely prescribed medicines (yet indispensable when needed for individual patient treatment)
- medicines derived from biological source materials
Homeopathic practitioners and patients call for:
- Freedom of choice in healthcare.
- Full availability of the whole range of high quality homeopathic medicines necessary for effective treatment.
- Appropriate regulations for homeopathic medicines at both European and national level, including prescription free availability of a first safe dilution.
- A simple notification procedure for all homeopathic medicines in high potencies (beyond Avogadro’s number), including medicines from biological source materials. No denaturising methods such as heat or radiation for source materials for high potencies or final products which are safe by dilution/potentisation alone.
- Inclusion of homeopaths, homeopathic doctors, pharmacists from within and outside the industry and patient representatives in advisory committees at both European level and in every single country.